To study and observe research into methodology, administration and problems associated with disasters and to familiarise with the activities of Red Cross - USA, Switzerland

Kingsley was married to Daphne with 3 daughters at the time of his Fellowship. As General Secretary of the Red Cross in Tasmania, Kingsley was fully involved in the Tasmanian 1967 Bushfires as controller of relief operations with headquarters in the Hobart Town Hall.

Through out his life Kingsley maintained his interest in Red Cross and in 1990 received a bronze rosette to attach to his medal for meritorious service in Tasmania in 1967. He was also a blood donor from 1947 to 1985. Kinglsey was also interested in Rotary, hockey and bowls.



Kingsley left for 26 weeks overseas taking his wife and one year old daughter with him. The family rented an apartment at the University Arms, Columbus Ohio and were made very welcome; their host family including them in various tourist weekends and other local activities. Much of Kingsley’s research was spent at the Ohio’s State University Department of Sociology which had a disaster research centre. He also visited Los Angeles, Washington, Canada and Switzerland viewing activities conducted by the Red Cross in each location.

The Americans at that time were experts in medical and blood transfusion services a matter of interest to Kingsley. It was when in the US that Kingsley was contacted to to put his organisational skills and experiences to practical use and assist in Holmes County when Hurricane Camille struck. In Geneva the Red Cross assisted the United Nations with refugee problems but the program was hampered by lack of trained personnel so as Australia had been asked to assist, this was where Kingsley would spend time.


After utilising his skills and offering his new learning to Tasmanians, in 1971 Kingsley went as Secretary to the Institute of Human Biology in Goroka, New Guinea. The institute was a major organisation carrying out Medical Research and Kingsley was responsible for general and financial administration for field project teams visiting remote areas and also for world Health Specialists. In 1973 he returned to Australia as manager of the Flying Doctor Service, QLD which at that time was a position of a diverse nature ranging from aircraft, radio including School of the Air, medical items, buildings, ages and salaries.

In 1977 keen to improve his knowledge his studies and knowledge of people, he gained mature age entry to University to undertake a full-time degree in Humanities graduating in 1980. His final working life was spent lecturing at the QLD police Academy in Human Resource Management.

The Churchill Fellowship gave Kingsley confidence and increased his knowledge and desire to learn more. Kidney problems caused his death on 8th August, 2000.