PERSONAL DETAILS

Ellis W F

WILLIAM F ELLIS OBE

To study facilities and methods of museums and the means by which these institutions are blended into the cultural, educational and economic life of the communities they serve - USA, UK, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Italy

Frank Ellis OBE was Director of the Queen Victoria Museum & Art Gallery, (QVMAG) Launceston for 23 years from 1955 to 1978. Mr Ellis began working at QVMAG as an anthropologist in 1951.
He was the director of the West Australian Art Gallery from 1978 until 1986, when he was appointed as director of the Burnie Art Gallery, until his retirement in 1993.
Frank Ellis held a number of other influential positions throughout his career, including as adviser to the Commonwealth Government on the establishment of the Territory of Papua and New Guinea Museum, councillor of the Tasmanian College of Advanced Education, founding member of the Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies in Canberra, vice-president of the Museums Association of Australia and vice-chairman of the Australian Gallery Directors Council. He taught Anthropogoy at the Tasmanian College of Advanced Education.

FELLOWSHIP DETAILS

1968

Frank Ellis made a major contribution to the QVMAG across the three core disciplines of science, history and visual arts, including securing the Planetarium from the Education Department in Hobart. He was a major advocate for education and secured the secondment of teachers to work as museum education officers, from the Education Department. He had a particular interest in recording and preserving the Aboriginal history of Tasmania and regularly conducted surveys throughout the State. He participated in John Mulvaney’s important archaeological excavation of the site known as Kenniff Cave in Central Western Queensland, which established the earliest occupation of Aboriginal Australia at 16, 000 years ago.

FELLOWSHIP CONCLUSIONS & OUTCOMES

He achieved a lot from 1968 onwards including the development of a new theatre and lecture room, the Planetarium (securing it from the Education Department in Hobart) and in 1970 a mobile exhibition rail car in collaboration with Tasmanian Government Railways. That year he also received an OBE for his services to Museums.